Jacques, my thought is that if you'd want to get the SR5005 as a processor, do so, but don't be influenced by the described modification(especially if it's only available in the U.S.). Despite their claim, this wouldn't result in any audible benefit. The noise on these units is already in the 100dB down area, which is inaudibly low, and any small further reduction by disabling the amp section might be measurable but wouldn't have audible significance. The output transistors do "idle" even when not connected to a load, so some electricity is consumed and heat generated, but this shouldn't be a major consideration in my view.

I certainly wouldn't pay $75 to disable the amplifier and might not even choose that for no charge if bought with an Outlaw amplifier. I'd want to retain the capability of using it at least in part as an amplifier in the future(or being able to sell it as such)without having to send it in to reverse the "modification".

Incidentally, I'm curious about your comment re the specs, since they seemed routinely typical to me.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.