i installed the Marantz yesterday (using it as a pre-pro), then did the Audyssey calibration and had enough time to listen to a film for a short while and also some music on Galaxie.

the surround speakers (Energy's) were placed around 110 degrees from my head position, along the side walls and aimed at the back wall in such a way that from where i sit i can't see the drivers themselves, so i get only reflected sound. if i angle the back surrounds in such a way that i can see those drivers, even if only a little, some frequencies interact with those from the front speakers and the resulting sound is very annoying. it's a bit like slap echo, but worse because it happens at many different frequencies and when once i did have slap echo, it was only in one spot in the room and at only one frequency.
both phenomena seem to be a variation of one another.

by the way, i can't put the back speakers anywhere but at around 105-110 degrees, my room is not large enough to give me some leeway.

finally, listening for a while after installation was finished, i found that right from the start the sound was very good, and the big surprise for me was the fact that listening at 0dB was the exact same volume as i was using with the old equipment.
but then i did not know what "0dB" was...now i know. ;-)

now, my Energy's are getting old (rotting away glue and foam), and i'm thinking about eventually replacing them with other surround speakers.
my BIG question is: if i cannot aim my current surround speakers in order to get some direct sound, how could i get good sound with Asiom's QS8's, as they are direct/reflecting type speakers?

anyone can answer this?