While my AX2s & Velodyne F1000 sub (in the Wall O'Fame) are still performing as new in my audio only system, I expect that my F1000 is in its twilight years & will need to be replaced in the next while when it finally dies. According to Velodyne, replacement is the Optimum 10 that looks like a good, accurate sub for a music only system.

I drive the 3 speakers with a new, basic Sony Stereo Receiver that has no LFE nor PreAmp Outs (Tape Mon Out only). Therefore, I use the Speaker Level Output to the sub with a long speaker wires underneath the baseboards (hardwood floors). The F1000 has Speaker Outs that filter out the low freqs before sending to the AX2s. This is what I prefer as the mains do not have to try to reproduce the bass spectrum for cleaner sound.

Fewer subs are being produced with this capability as most receivers now have LFE Out. The Optimum 10 & the Axiom subs (350, 400 or 500) that I'm also considering do not have the filtered Speaker Out capability. In my HT system, my twin Velos DLS-3750s have the Speaker In & filtered Out connections (although I don't use them here) as do Velo's new EQ-Max series.

Options would be to buy a new receiver with LFE/Sub Out but I really don't want to move furniture & rip up & replace 30' of baseboard if I don't have to. Besides, my Sony is still new & sounds good to me.

Is having the low bass being filtered from the mains (AX2s or perhaps M22s) as important as I think that it is or am I misguided?

Thoughts??

Thanks

Tom
Comox, BC