JohnK:

I am using my present F1000 exactly the way that you describe by limiting the lows to my AX2s (crossed at 80Hz) because it has filtered Speaker Level Outs. The AX2s are getting everything above 80 Hz & the F1000 is doing all the work below that - very effectively I might add. That is the only way that it can be done with my present receiver without going to add-on hardware.

For an audio only system, I prefer smaller mains (paired with a quality sub or two) such as the M22. The question is - what is an M22 doing with the lowest bass freqs that it can't possibly reproduce if it is being fed a full spectrum signal? I would think that if it was receiving only 80Hz & above (like my AX2s are) the M22 would be much happier. I surmise that it would not be as susceptable to compression at high SPLs giving cleaner sound & be less stressful on the speaker components.

This is what I'm trying to achieve so my sub choices are definitely limited. I recognize that the vast majority of HT components now do the LFE onboard & can see why manufacturers are not providing filtered Speaker Level Outs as they once did. It now is really an uncoomon, legacy connection system - but that's what I need.

dakken:

Thanks for your input. I'm sure that your M60s would be quite happy with a full spectrum signal whereas smaller mains probably would not be.

Tom
Comox, BC