Thanks for the replies.

My new Sony Receiver is just basic stereo, 2.0 only with no fancy LFE nor PreAmp outs. I wanted just a simple 2 X 100W per CH receiver for stereo only. It replaced my 20 year old Sony STR-D2020 from 20 years ago that I used for my audio only system in the connection mode in my first post. The speaker wiring is already in under the baseboards & I want to use it that way, ie Receiver Speaker to 'Sub Speaker Level' In & 'Sub Speaker Level Out' to the mains.

It's not the Speaker Level Inputs that are missing on most subs today - they are normally always installed; however, it is the Speaker Level Outputs that provide filtered signal to the mains that are becoming scarce. Axiom subs do not have Speaker Level Out connections either.

If Speaker Level Out connections are not installed, then the full spectrum of the receiver's Speaker Level Signal is fed to the mains. I would prefer to have the mains not have to deal with the low freqs. This was always touted as the best way to go when sub development was in its infancy, before HT, LFE, etc.

So the question remains - when using Speaker Level connections, is it still preferable to feed small mains a sub-filtered signal vice a full spectrum signal? Based on what I've read over the years I think that it is preferable; however, I'm not an expert.

Comments?

Tom
Comox, BC