Depending what you want to use a truck for, the Tacoma would probably be the better choice between the two you mentioned, Joe. Toyota trucks are generally quite reliable if not pricey. I've found the compact trucks to be more-less the same price as full size with marginal improvement in economy while sacrificing usability...towing, payload, roominess, ect.

As far as full size, my preference is Chev/GM truck. I feel they offer the best combination of reliability, payload, towing, economy(relatively speaking), and power. I've owned/driven several pickup trucks, mostly full sized, and in a nut-shell this is what I gathered....I liked the way the Dodge's drive and make decent power but couldn't get past their reliability issues despite attractive pricing....My brother owned a Ford F150 and my neighbour bought one recently, both had several problems with them in the first few months of ownership(electrical problems, leaks through the roof/windshield, air con ect), Ford, from my own experience(I've owned several of their cars) don't stand behind their products as well as some other co's(google 5.4L spark plugs/heads as an example), also they change their engine line up too often as far as I'm concerned. I've never owned a Toyota truck, but a friend of mine has a Tundra and has had no issues to speak of with it, I'd wager that their Tacoma would be of similar reliability.

Again, it depends on what you want to use the truck for, but my experience is that you don't really gain anything by going compact. They're pretty much the same price as a full size and don't really give you back much in economy. That's just my opinion, of course, good luck with whatever vehicle you decide on.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.