I disagree a bit. Along with the white headphone crowd, there is a second crowd of young people who go to the other extreme and are super serious about music. They can be both easy and tough to spot. They don't dress to conform and you will find them in the smaller clubs where there is a constant supply of live, often local music verses the dance clubs and such. For lack of a proper term having being invented yet, they are indeed kind of a mix of the artsy crowd blended a bit with the hippies of old. However, unlike the hippies of old, they don't draw much attention to themselves, are generally quiet, often very well educated, very polite and very non-political.

They are listening to music in multiple and very diverse genres and appreciate music in all it's aspects from lyrics, artistic value, to sound quality. In fact, I doubt many of us here could keep up for long in a conversation about such topics with most of these young people.

Luckily, they are a lot more acceptable of old fogies like us and unlike most nightclubs or the more popular bar scenes, you can feel very comfortable as one of just a handful of mature adults in one of these otherwise youthful venues. As long as you are there to appreciate music, they treat you as one of there own. Age feels refreshingly irrelevant.

Just my own observations as I truly enjoy live music and love to hang out at the smaller, live music venues both at home here and when I travel.

The music appreciating youth are out there, you just have to look past the more obvious masses.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.