Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I re-read through the Calibration for Dummies, and I've also been going through some of the RS45 calibration thread at AVS. I will be able to adjust each grayscale point (what is it, like every 10%) as well as some others. I was told that honing in on this and the gamma will make amazing differences. Since the Rs45 doesn't have a CMS, I will be more limited with colors, but I guess they are more than acceptable once the rest is dialed in.

I am REALLY thinking hard about getting a basic setup of something like the Eye-One LT and using ColorHCFR since it is free. If I get good results, my investment is like $150 in the meter. If I decide I want more calibration options, I can buy ChromaPure for another $180, but with somewhat limited controls for color (again, no CMS on the RS45), I don't know if I would gain much more than just being easier to use.

Of course, I will have to wait anyway. We are over budget on our basement finishing, and I still NEED some things, like an equipment rack and movie storage, materials for my screen wall (screen material already ordered), bass traps, etc. Good thing that the rest of the basement minus the baseboard trim is already purchased/done now.

I just am getting excited about being able to watch movies again after almost exactly 1 year of not watching anything at home since we packed up the previous house (and my Axioms) a year ago this weekend.

The fact that you have 10 or 11 point gray scale calibration built in to your projector is two-thirds of the battle, even without a more sophisticated CMS. The multi-point grayscale capability will allow you to make substantially more accurate adjustments to the benchmark in both grayscale and gamma settings which will, in turn, right from the beginning give you better and more accurate color even without any other adjustments. I might suggest in time, if your budget eventually allows, secure the Chromapure since it has calibration tables that has a system of adjusting color accuracy even without a CMS, along with continual free upgrades.

(michael d) FYI, you do require a licence from Chromapure if you buy the meter from them, however, unlike Calman, you can use the meter with other software. If you buy the meter and software from Calman, you can't use the meter with anything else. Also the Display 3Pro has to be purchased from one of the software vendors, since the generic unit won't work with either Chromapure or Calman.