Originally Posted By: Andrew
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Nick, you could always put a resistor in the circuit to increase the overall resistance.... It would be a "waste" of power, but would reduce the current draw from the amp.

The only problem with this is that the shaker is a transducer and, just like a regular speaker, has an impedance that varies with frequency. Putting a resistor in series will then alter the frequency response of shakers.

Wouldn't it just shift the impedance graph up by 4ohms? Basically shifting the Y intercept, while not altering the slope; since a resistor is a "real" load that does not vary with AC, like an inductive or capacitive load?

Speakers are basically inductors, that are used to create a magnetic field, which drives the speaker cone... The same principle a bass shaker works off of, accept without a cone, correct?

I know were getting in to AC theory here a little... But, i dont know why the resistor option wouldn't just push the entire impedance line up as a whole?

I know it would waist some power, at this point i would consider my option an academic discussion.

Last edited by dakkon; 05/01/12 03:28 AM.