Welcome!

I'm not sure what you mean by "front surrounds". Typically, a 7.1 system has "surround" speakers to the sides of the listening position and "rear" speakers behind. Some newer receivers now matrix 9.2 or even 11.2 channels for "height" and "width" speakers that ARE designed to be positioned in the front of the room.

Depending upon your room size and configuration, the QS8's are SO good, that going from 5.1 to 7.1 may not make a heck of a lot of difference. That was my experience.

People seem to like the Marantz units. Denon and Onkyo are also very popular and present good values.

I don't know why you wouldn't be thrilled with the Epic 80 system. I would advise getting the VP160 or VP180 as a center channel rather than the VP150. The newer, bigger center channels seem to be quite an improvement.

I can't really help with the remote thing. People seem to like the Harmony One. Personally, they can have my URC MX-700 when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. It's old tech, but works very well for us.

I use my iPad to control my Squeezebox for music. It is beyond cool.

Enjoy the journey! Stop by the Beer Thread. grin

bibere usque ad hilaritatem