Originally Posted By: nickbuol
What a great project! cool

I need to build an equipment rack for my theater. I am looking at something freestanding, but not a "flexy rack' because those things aren't quite the look I want, and for the size I am looking to build, materials are a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was thinking something simple out of wood/MDF with peg holes or metal shelf standards. The standards would be stronger and more durable for the weight of something like a receiver (or two like I have). Did you use peg holes? If so, how hard were they to drill evenly?

Here is a sample picture I found online of a standard with bracket, holding a shelf, and with a front face to dress it up.

Nick, those standards and brackets come in black, white, tan, etc. as well as metal finishes. I'm sure you could find 'em in brass, too. A pin hole jig at Rockler.com, with a special spring-loaded bit, would run you $50 for the single one and about $80 for the double-sided one. Yes, even 5mm (they also come in 1/4") pins can easily hold the weight of a 40+ lb. receiver.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.