I have a 3803. I'm not sure where you are with this, but the Denon test tones were not on or off when I used Avia. The Avia disk is played in the DVD Player and uses the DVD audio output, hence the Avia test tones came through the speakers, not the 3803 test tones.

I'm also not sure why you are reticent to use Avia (unless it is the expense of the disk, which I understand). I'd suggest you get over to the AVS Forum and do a search on Avia if you feel the need for being convinced. I did my calibration with the 3803 test tones and then with Avia. The end result with Avia was better sounding and included a better blending with the sub. To my ears.

I frankly don't remember the specific details of the Avia research I did, but conclusion was compelling enough for me to get an Avia disk. I do know that the net/summary of the info was that the Avia disk just does a better job in providing audio that is balanced. Given what you have spent on equipment, I would think that the small additional chase to make it all work together as well as possible would be worthwhile.