Thanks for your reply! I'm away from the house at the moment so can't give you a picture, but will try to describe the room accurately:

LxWxH - 16 ft, 12 ft, 8 ft

Front of Room: A fireplace flanked by two book cases takes up the entire front wall (hence no room for tower speakers). TV is mounted above the fireplace, there is a concrete shelf about 7 ft wide, 15 inches deep, and 10 inches tall built into the front of the fireplace. (My backup plan is to put the bookshelf speakers on top of this concrete shelf)

Left side of room (looking forward from the couch) has three windows about 3ft by 4ft. Right side of room (looking forward from the couch) has the opening into the room. It's about 7ft wide, and opens into an open landing/staircase area (L, W, H - 7 ft, 10 ft, 18 ft high).

The back of room has a large L shaped sectional in the left rear corner. There are hardwood floors, and a rug covers most of the area in front of the sectional.

This room is used for regular conversation volume television watching, medium volume movie watching, and occasional very loud music playing. We've currently got a small Sony home theater in a box setup that my old roommate from university gave me which doesn't sound terrible, but seems underpowered for the room that we have.