Gary,

Home Theater magazine reviewed the 1st generation Runco/Vidikron LED projector 2 years ago, if I remember correctly. This was when 3D was the new thing for home theater. It cost approximately $15,000. The contrast and black levels were very poor for a projector in that price range and it's brightness only made it suitable for smaller screens. I think that there was also a 2nd generation Runco/Vidikron LED projector reviewed within the past year. The cost came down slightly but it was still in the $10,000 to $15,000 price range and only had a slight improvement in picture quality overall. Yes these are the first attempts at getting the same performance out of an LED lamp in a projector, but we have a long way to go still.

I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like other manufacturers are even pursuing LED lamps in projectors at this point. At CES and CEDIA there have only really been 3D projectors announced and this year 4k was the big announcement. To me having a LED lamp in a projector like the JVC model with similar performance would be much more exciting than 3D or 4k. For the past several years there have been glasses free 3D displays at CEDIA and CES, even though the technology is nowhere near being ready for the public. But, not really any LED based projectors.