My Brother in law's projector is 1080i compatible, at least. These days, that is nothing special. When he got it, the projectors was listing for around 10K (His company bought the thing for business use, and he used it for presentations...the portability meant that he could unhook it quickly an easily for job-related issues. long story short - two years after the company bought it, they basically forgot that they bought it, and - wammo, free projector.)

Anyway, I looked into some projectors, and really, you won't be saving any money. If you factor in the screen that you'll need to buy, and factor in the cost of the actual projector, which is still pretty high these days (circa 2-3K for a good one) and then consider that a 1080p projector will likely be newer and thus, more exepensive, there's mroe fuel for the "cost-fire." Then, you add picture quality concerns because of the light issues and it all begins to get kind of expensive.

All of that said - I hope to one day get a projector, because it certainly is pretty d@mned cool seeing DVDs played at 90 inches. You really feel like you have a home THEATER!

But, if costs weren't an issue, we wouldn't have these boards, we'd all be out buying every hot toy we could think of.

Sorry for the long response that didn't answer your question.