I can understand Cat's sentiment somewhat.

If you only email and occasional browse a few web pages, then a gig isn't going to mean a whole lot to some people. For other's, it is to drool for. However, one is also limited by all of the other bottlenecks between you and and the servers you are trying to hit. Also, many of the servers you hit, probably won't dish out data at that rate even if you could get a clean pipe the whole way.

The decrease in latency would be attractive to gamers, but again, you may be limited by bottlenecks elsewhere. However, when every millisecond counts as an advantage over your enemy, cleaning up those first few hops can make a noticeable difference.

The real benefit comes into play for services being provided by Google. Having a gig pipe between you and your voice or TV provider gives them a huge advantage in the number of TVs they can provide signal to in your home and in minimizing any compression they apply to the sound & video. A HUGE advantage for a TV provider who wants to sell their product based on signal quality.

Personally, I'd pay good money for 1 Gbps but I wouldn't recommend it for every user as it really depends on your needs.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.