Originally Posted By: Murph
The real benefit comes into play for services being provided by Google. Having a gig pipe between you and your voice or TV provider gives them a huge advantage in the number of TVs they can provide signal to in your home and in minimizing any compression they apply to the sound & video. A HUGE advantage for a TV provider who wants to sell their product based on signal quality.

I'm paying around $90 for JUST internet from Charter, and it's up to 100 mbps down/5 mbps up. Gigabit internet both down and up, along with a terabyte of cloud storage for $70/mo is an insane increase in value for someone like me. It would finally be realistic for me to back up my entire music library in FLAC to the cloud, since I'd have the space and the bandwidth to do it, although I am approaching a terabyte's worth of music. That cloud storage is the biggest draw for me, since you're right about other bottlenecks limiting whatever else I'm doing online.

While I was only talking about the $70/mo plan, I do think I'd opt for the $120/mo plan to get the TV service. A little more expensive than my current Charter subscription, but I think it would be worth it.