I asked for treadmill input a while back. I did a bunch of research and found about every brand out there at different stores and hotels. I gave them all a try.

Ken I probably can't help you much, as I quickly found out just how much the smaller / folding type treadmills suck. I use mine four / five times a week because it rains / snows so much where I live. I would rather run outside, but that's just not possible. Plus, running on roads or trails takes its toll on my knees and I regret it later. So I initially thought I'd go small, but after running on a bunch at the stores, I moved to the fixed bed models.

So anyway, I ended up buying a True PS300. It's a commercial grade machine with nice big bed, a few quick select buttons and an ortho belt. Some folks hate the ortho belts, but I find them more comfortable to run on. The True has a firm, but cushioning bed that I found to be the most comfortable to me. I also liked a couple of the Precor machines, but felt the True to be a more solid, more comfortable treadmill. The store I bought the True from had Precor and Lifefitness floor models. I took my running shoes and ran on all of them. The Precor models that I did like were darn near 5 grand too. I thought they were overpriced. I also tried Landice. They are built like tanks, but I could not stand running on them. I felt like I was wearing bricks. They are quite expensive too.

The one thing about the True that I find irritating though, is the heart monitor. The chest strap and hand grips do not work worth a crap. They are completely worthless as far as I'm concerned. That's too bad, as the machine has a program that monitors heart rate, and will incline / speed up to maintain your desired heart rate. It almost killed me once, as it apparently thought I was sleeping at 10 mph and 8% grade. I gave up on that....