I'll throw some of my thoughts into the mix for you. I'm a recent convert to smart phones, and like you I resisted the force until about a year ago. I was more than happy with my work-issue Motorola flip phone. It made phone calls and was indestructible.

I finally succumbed and got the first gen Samsung Galaxy and was immediately smitten! The biggest factor vs. an iPhone was the freedom from the will of Apple. My wife had an iPhone and it was a constant battle with iTunes keeping the phone synced, downloading apps and music and updating. I'm a bit of a computer geek, and iTunes just absolutely drove me insane.

Granted, Android-based phones require a bit more hands on tech savvy than Apple phones. If you want something simple, elegant and intuitive, iPhones have that market cornered. If you want to be in control of your phone, Android is the way to go. We recently upgraded my wife's iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy S2. It took her a couple of weeks to adapt, but she'd never go back now. The S2 is a great phone. With the S3 out now, we got the S2 from AT&T for $30.

Compared to my old Motorola tank (and your Blackberry), these phones feel a little "dainty". While they can tolerate some abuse, I'd strongly recommend a hard shell case. Otter Box is top of the line and well worth the money, but there are other brands that do the job also.

Ditch the BB and come into the light!

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins