thanks for all that great advice. It's definitely a different kind of interface. Especially for someone who hasn't used a new receiver like this.

All of it's so new to me.

And on that note: I'm noticing some issues.

I've figured out all my previous problems, but now a new one.

My rears and center channel speakers are mix matched bookshelf speakers. They have always sounded great. The sound dynamics for the rears are particularly nice, or so I thought.

I've always enjoyed the crisp, detailed sound they provide. They can play loud too and still sound good.

But hooked up to this amp, when I play a loud action scene on a blu ray, and only during a loud output scene, the center and rear speakers have noticeable distortion...it's so noticeable and it's going to cause me to tear my hair out. I'm sooooo disappointed with that.

My last receiver was a Yamaha that is something like 12-15 years old.

The surround sound effects and quality of sound, the separation of the channels and the soundstage in the front, it's all EXTREMELY noticeably better.

So if there is this much difference in sound quality, is it possible the Marantz is showing me just how crappy my mixed matched old system is? Is that possibly why the center and surrounds in my 5.0 system are distorting? Why wouldn't I have heard it when my old Yamaha was hooked up?

My setup seems sound. I've went over it again and again and even hooked up the old amp to double check. No problem with the old amp, but again, the sound sounds almost stone age compared to my new Marantz.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57