Originally Posted By: JohnK
Jacques, what were your previous mike positions and separations, and what are they now?

the previous patterns i used had each mic position separated by about 1-2 ft.; Audyssey seems to recommend separations of between 1 and 3 ft.
after doing the first measurement at the exact MLP, then i would take:
1 left:2 ft.
1 right: 2 ft.
1 forward: 1 ft.
1 back:6 ins..
1 at the lp for the seat on my right: 34 ins.

i tried many variations around this theme.

now, what i did, after reading the article:

i used a modified "Pattern Wide1h" as shown in the article referred to above.

# 1 and 2: Center of head (MLP);
# 3: Forward 3 ins.
# 4: Backwards 3 ins.
# 5: Left 3 ins.
# 6: right 3 ins.
All at ear height, none at 3 ins. up.

so far, after listening to a couple of hours of music, the difference is appreciable.
the runner in DSOM does not get fat and fuzzy anymore; musical instruments are better defined for focus and position; hall acoustics are better integrated around the instruments and it seems like the micro details are better defined.

the M80s seem to reproduce details as if they were under a microscope: finely textured and full of micro details; not only does one hear the "trees in the forest", but one also hears the individual "leaves in the trees". in fact, if i close my eyes, then i can very clearly "see" all the music, in intimate detail.

also, after using DPLII Music for quite a long time when listening to music, i decided a few weeks ago to try DTS Neo:6 Music and found that instruments are better defined as also the hall acoustics; as if a veil had been lifted in front of the soundstage: better definition and realism. this applies to acoustic instruments; synth music could be another matter, but i haven't tried any.