Originally Posted By: stoudtlr
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Be wary of the 828 and Onkyo in general as the HDMI ports have been failing...

Thanks for the info, but what brand/model would you recommend if not Onkyo?

I definitely do NOT want any chance of HDMI issues. We have a Vizio tv in the family room with HDMI issues. When changing inputs the video from selected source always displays but sometimes audio doesn't work. Have to cycle power and unplug and reconnect HDMI a few times before the sound will be picked up. Really a PITA, but trying to get HT finished before dropping money on a new tv for that room.

Although I have never owned a Denon AVR, over the last number of years I have owned an Onkyo, Marantz and two Yamaha models including my most recent new Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre-Pro. Of the three brands and in my case anyway, the only one that has given me consistent reliable HDMI connections has been the Yamaha and that is with other items connected between the HDMI out of the Pre-Pro and in particular to a Lumagen VP between it and the display. With HDMI sometimes the more connections the more problematic the "handshake" issues, yet, I have never experienced issues with the Yamaha. Cable/Sat boxes connected through AVRs via HDMI sometimes can have issues as well. I have read recently in the CE press that Yamaha has recently introduced some very good highly rated budget brand AVR's that might fit your bill.

Incidentally, I have found it also helps to have a good HDMI "locking" cable like the "Perfect Path" brand.

Last edited by casey01; 04/18/14 05:59 PM.