I sit about 12' away from a screen that's 96" wide when I have it in 2.35 mode. Just last night I was watching a blue ray movie and just amazed at the clarity and wonderful color. I'm a sucker for video gear, and always looking to "upgrade", but I am just not buying this 4K tech. I think a person would be better off investing in video calibration equipment and the gear that enables you to get the color gamut and grey scale dialed in. I can say with absolute, and undeniable certainty, that if either grey scale or gamut is out in the weeds, the picture will look like crap. Dial these in and the image will pop and look fantastic with 1080P. Now if you happen to like a REALLY big picture, like 2/1 distance / size ratio, 4K might be for you. But I don't know about that either, because I can get up to about five feet from my screen and the image still looks terrific. Lumagen has a device they call the Radiance Mini. I'd suggest anyone invest in this box a good meter and Chromapure. You can get a bundled package from Chromapure that includes your choice of a Radiance, a meter and the software. I'd give this a try before dumping a ton of money into a new display, new AVR, new cables, etc....

The auto-calibrate function ChromaPure has works amazingly well, even with 3D. I just set the meter up, hit the button and take a nap. 30 minutes later, it's done.