Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Originally Posted By: CV
I really wish this kind of functionality was a basic feature of AVRs.

And they could sell it for sure, but it would have to add about $1k or more to the cost of a high end AVR.
I for one would consider purchasing that feature though.
They've already done calibration with mics with AVR so why not video?

Just to follow up what "Michael" said, I have had my Lumagen Radiance "Mini" now for over a year and quite frankly, I don't know what I would do without it. The superior video calibrations that can be done with these units are only part of their capabilities. These are quite sophisticated pieces of software that are regularly updated that also provide superb scaling from any source, precise overscan/underscan(I can get my overscan under 1%)and multiple calibration memories for not only different sources but, if you wanted, day and night viewing. The newer 4k processors can provide colour point calibrations in the "thousands" and have built in Darbee, "Darblets", however, they are pretty pricey. From what I have seen from the best and most expensive displays that have built in color/GS systems, they still can't come close to the capabilities and accuracy of the Lumagen products and even if you don't want the processor but still want to calibrate yourself, you still have to buy the software and meter anyway! Actually, the meter/software combination isn't going to cost you much more than a one-time only calibration from a technician, not a bad deal especially if you want to touch it up every so often or if you have more than one set you would like to calibrate.

For those that are not familiar with these processors, I would simply describe them as if you extracted all of the mechanisms in your display that produce the picture and placed them in a separate external box with tenfold the capabilities and precision compared to your display on its own, yet, still able to operate within your display's limitations.

Last edited by casey01; 09/15/14 01:02 AM.