Fred: Yes. Unfortunately, there are no hot springs here. frown

TAM:
Just like politics and religion, you will get some very strong opinions on what brands people feel are "the best". And you are correct - unfortunately even top rated brands have their problems. Personally, I have had great success with Carrier & Bryant. (They are the same equipment) Trane seems to have fewer dealers and a much lower market share here in Ontario, so I don't have as much experience with them.

Having said all that, a 2012 Consumer Reports article stated that between the top 10 selling brands, there was less than a 10% difference in reliability. I'm not a big CR fan, but there is no reason to doubt this stat.

In reality, the installing dealer you choose will have a far greater impact on your overall satisfaction, than the equipment choice. I would spend far more time researching the company than the equipment. Talk to friends and neighbours. Check the BBB. Have they been involved in any lawsuits? Visit their shop. Find out which crew is being sent out to your job. How much experience do they have? How long have they been with the company? What licences do they carry? Are both qualified?

Also in Ontario, we have the TSSA. (Technical Safety Standards Association) On their website, you can check to see if the company has been charged with any safety violations. I'm not sure you have anything like this in BC, but it might be worth looking into. Example here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Shawn

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.