You might want to consider another option. I have owned a number of Yamaha AVR's over the years and have run a system where I connected my AVR to a couple of Outlaw power amps which sounds great. Does it sound better than a higher end receiver on its own? Hard to say, but I made the purchase anyway. When Yamaha introduced their Pre-Pro last year(CX-A5000), I sold my Yamaha RXA-2000 and bought the Pre-Pro which, of course, naturally integrated in to my present amplification system.

If you are happy with your 3800, consider buying the Outlaw 7200 and just connect the pre-outs to it. The fact that this particular model, as opposed to their model 7700, doesn't have balanced inputs, really shouldn't make any difference. The 7200 will give you noticeably more power and headroom, especially "all channels driven", however, it is just a matter of personal choice and, of course, budget. The 140 watts/ch. rating for Yamaha AVRs is usually with only one or two channels driven and like most AVR ratings, the power levels drop considerably when all channels are driven at the same time. There is generally no compromise on power with separate power amps.

I know Outlaw, is phasing out the 7200 and it is on sale until they run out of them. These amps are made in the U.S. by "ATI" so they are very good quality and if I needed a 7 channel power amp this is one I would jump at and power amps never become obsolete.

Last edited by casey01; 01/18/15 06:10 PM.