Originally Posted By: BobKay
Chess; C'mon, You're THE science guy!!!

Well i'm A science guy.

Quote:
Do you know where the stone comes from?

Nope. I would have to ask each and every company i might consider. I do suspect we have local granite quarries along the edge of the Cambrian Shield at the east end of the province though. Some companies are located in that area. Limestone is also big in the province so this goes back to my potential concern about calcium content.

Quote:
You know how much the original 7 x 10' slab must have weighed, right? How did it get to your house? Do you know how HUGE the carbon footprint is on stone transport; truck to truck to truck to ship to truck to truck to truck?

We have cheap melamine counters at the moment (great use of hydrocarbons but admittedly they are thin and last forever).
I'm not concerned about carbon footprint as we won't be buying anything we can't get in this country. This is Canada after all. We have plenty of good rock.

Quote:
Also, no one ever tests stone counter top material for radon. Some of it emits it at higher than allowed "living space" levels.

This is highly improbable unless the rock had higher than average trace uranium to start. Oddly enough, radon is a somewhat unknown problem here in Manitoba. They do mine uranium in Saskatchewan so we're in the general territory to have above average U concentrations in the soil.

Quote:
Chess! You're not gonna tell me that climate change is a myth, are "ye?"

I thought a wrote a paper on that already.
Maybe i just read one.

Quote:
So, your LEED choices are--- local, or manmade, or both.
The entire future of the planet hangs on the balance of your decision.

Don't get me started on carbon footprint and the hydrocarbon based resins they use in manufactured quartz.
And for the love of Pete take away my soapbox before i get started on how many publishers use popular keywords like "LEED" now as a way to sell printed magazines.
Save the trees Bob, save the trees!
smile

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."