Originally Posted By: Brendan
Hi all,

I currently have a standard VP-180 and am looking at upgrading to the HP version. I have the M100's as the mains driven by Sherwoods a-965. I am looking for an opinion for users who have the HP model. I listen to music only on this system, and usually at higher than what would be considered normal listening levels(I have very understanding neighbors :)) With the current setup, I have to set the centre channel to "small" to prevent over extension of the woofers. I used to have M80's for mains, and the 100's are way better simply because the drivers can move more. There is also an EP800 in the mix. The room is about 10' x 12' big.

Cheers, Brendan

Hmm, like the others who have commented so far, I really wonder how loud you are playing your music to attain, as you describe it, over extension of the woofers? The regular M80/VP180 combination(without the HP woofers) are already capable of 400 watts input and have been tested up to 700 watts. My VP180 is set to a 60HZ crossover. I would concur and it also sounds to me that you are driving the amps in your AVR to clipping and beyond creating the issues you describe in which case, in my opinion, the HP woofers would really be of little value.

I have TWO Outlaw 200 watt/ch. multi-channel amps in a 9.2 speaker configuration anchored by regular VP180/M80s "V3" combination and can play both music and movies plenty loud without even coming close to over driving the speakers. It sounds to me if you like playing your music really loud, you would be better off spending your money on a more powerful outboard amp rather than upgrading to HP woofers.

Last edited by casey01; 02/07/15 07:44 PM.