Hi Tom

Yup, LCD is the way to go for me too. The Pany is/was a great projector for it's time and I don't regret buying it. I still have people refer to me as "The guy with the room" when I see them in the grocery store or bank. I always know I was pushing the 900u to it's limits with a 135" screen and only because I have no windows in the HT room could I get away with it. If I had to watch movies and play Xbox on this projector for another 5 to 10 years it would be far from the end of the world.

Since it is in a dedicated HT room and it isn't used every day, it takes longer to reach the end of the bulb life. My first bulb lasted 5 years. The 2nd one is more likely to get to 3.5 to 4 years as the kids are older and use the room more.

Bulb is at 1250 hours so I have multiple options

1) Keep the projector and pay the $400 in a year or so. Doable but not the most fun option

2) Sell the projector now for ~$250 add the $400 I would have spent on a bulb in a year and add the difference to get a new projector. I could also design and build a quick release ceiling mount and use the same unit for backyard movie night providing the new projector isn't too bulky (big and heavy).

3) Keep the Pany projector for backyard movie nights (not sure how well that would work, need to test) and buy a new projector for HT Room. Although I will still eventually have to buy a new bulb (probably when I am 80 though - LOL).

I think I like option 2 the best right now as it gives me the best bang for he buck.

So can anyone recommend a projector around the 1k mark that will fit the bill?

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990