Originally Posted By oakvillematt
...and the red is saturated to the point that you have lost detail, but you have got a more intense looking red. The apple doesn't look realistic but very red.

I'm not sure that what you call color intensity here is the same as saturation (see note). But anyhow, the effect you are illustrating is called "banding" in describing video, and is the result of increasing a range without also increasing the number of levels reproduced. But HDR video does increase the number of levels, from the 8 bit color depth of present standard video to at least 10 bits. The number of available color gradations is multiplied by 64 or more for HDR.

For video that is not native HDR but is rather upconverted from standard 8 bit video, today's HDR-ready TVs have to rely on a good upconversion processor to smooth out bands of the sort you illustrated with your apples.

Note on saturation. The greater colorfulness of HDR-WCG displays can't really be illustrated using video monitors of the sort I have and, I suppose, the sort you have. Wide Color Gamut displays show saturations of color that standard monitors cannot reproduce. There is not just more intense color, but there are new colors.

Last edited by GregLee; 07/19/15 03:56 AM.

Greg
VP180, M80s, M22s, QS8(4), CSW S305s, EP500, Pioneer VSX-90
M2i, M3(2), Pio vsx-1020