My parents ended up getting a UHD TV. They knew it was early to be adopting, but the local dealer they like just happened to get some of last year's model in at a steal. The only reason they were looking is because their bedroom TV's tuner stopped working.

This is the model they ended up with:

Samsung 4K UHD HU9000 Series Curved Smart TV - 55” Class

You can see the original retail price was $4999.99, which of course never really counts, and Samsung's website has it marked down to $3199.99. The dealer was able to offer it for $1499. While I did see a 70" UHD TV at Costco for $1700, I doubt the picture quality was in the same league.

They went ahead and upgraded their Netflix to the plan with 4K, and they're on my Amazon.com Prime as well, so I'll have to check out some content when I can. I watched just a little of Chef's Table on Netflix, and it did look pretty good. The motion wasn't as smooth as you'd hope (which I attribute to streaming at that resolution), but the clarity was there. I'm sure UHD Blu-ray will be an even better experience.

I just thought I'd add this note to an existing thread rather than starting a new one. I'll have to have them try out the 3D on it, too.