Originally Posted By jhas
Got a descent trade value, so I went for a B-stock EP500V4, since it is hidden in a cabinet. Looked hard at HSU VF3-15 and PSA 1800, but couldn't beat the deal with the trade in.

Sounds good. The new subs seem to be very well liked.

I forgot an important data point re: M5s vs M60s... I spent some time trying to improve the sound in my living room (HT is upstairs). After a few layout changes, some acoustic panels and some bass trapping I was finally starting to get decently smooth bass, but I was also able to play more loudly without it sounding so loud, if that makes any sense. It did seem that I was hitting the power limits of my receiver (an HK 3270) so I picked up a used Adcom GFA 555 and ran it off the pre-outs. That made a significant difference, and I was now able to play comfortably up to the onset of clipping (lights) with everything still sounding smooth. I didn't have occasion to do it much but it really sounded good when I did want to crank the levels.

I run one of the M5HP pairs off the Adcom now, and while they certainly can fill the room comfortably (15x20 with cathedral ceiling, open to loft and dining room) I don't find myself taking the amp up to the same levels as I did with the M60s. That's fine for me since I normally play music relatively quietly anyways, even for "serious listening" but for action movies in particular that "wall of sound" is sometimes really nice to have in the HT.

That was a lot of words for a "data point", particularly when I'm just trying to say "I think you did the right thing keeping the M60s".

Last edited by bridgman; 02/23/18 03:00 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8