LOL - the last thread before yours was this one:

High power in-ceiling speakers

If you bought in 2007 then I imagine you would have M80 mains, VP150 center, not sure about surrounds.

We probably have the same sub smile

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the relationship between TV and seating area, since one is off to the left and the other is a bit off to the right. Do you see the TV being in the corner and angled towards the seating area, or just "look left a bit" ?

Since the house is under construction it would probably be pretty easy to include a bit of extra metal/masonry in the fireplace to make sure that hot air was far enough out from the wall to let you center the TV on the chimney if that is not already planned. I'll throw in a plug for a Rumford fireplace while I'm at it but I imagine you have already been through that discussion.

I have two concerns with doing everything in-ceiling:

- first is that if the ceiling is 11' up then you're going to have trouble getting any kind of "loud on occasion" without putting something more like M60 size or larger up there, although M5HP's are surprisingly good if you only need loud and not LOUD.

- second is that the speakers are all going to be pretty close together from an angular POV so it's going to be tough to get the kind of imaging that you are used to

Having a wall-mounted center channel under the TV would make a big difference, or wall-mounted mains would probably do the job as well.

When you are playing loud, is it typically movies (where the center channel carries a lot of the content) or music (where the mains do most of the work) ? That (and location of TV) will probably be the determining factor re: whether you should go with on-wall center, mains or both.

Just curious, what is the major issue with keeping the floorstanding mains ? At first glance and 18x18 room seems sufficiently large to keep them out of the way.

Anyways, sounds like a fun project.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/02/18 01:50 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8