Taking consideration Bridgman's response, there is merit in tackling the electronic side of the equation first and see if an increase in power will produce a dynamic headroom improvement in the performance of the M22's and QS-8's. At a minimum, if you were to get larger speakers, you would need to this upgrade step as well.

The Emotiva route I mentioned is a popular one with those familiar with internet direct companies and willing to give them a shot.

I'm a big fan of NAD products and have a stereo amp in the living room. I would not hesitate to recommend any of their AVR's or Separates (T-7x7 series or M series).

On a budget? I've owned Denon and Yamaha in the past but much prefer my current Onkyo. Honestly though, it's a civic/accord vs corolla/camry vs sentra/Altima argument. They are all about the same. The higher end of their models tend to have a bit better build qualities.

Another interesting puppy on the market is the ARCAM AVR550. A bit pricey but I've heard good things. In the same vein, Rotel used to be a big player and the Rotel RAP-1580 would be a cool piece of gear to have... I would also consider the Anthem MRX720.

Dog I hate this hobby!