AV equipment manufacturers like Pioneer don't like to give you any real usable spec.

The M80 speakers are listed at 4ohm, you do know that this number is just really a guidline. If you look on the graphs that Ian gives with his speakers, you will see that in the deep bass sound the speakers are dipping below the 4ohm power, and at the 1K tone level that your Pioneer gave you an amperage rating, the speakers are running at 9ohm. So I don't know if the Pioneer is really going to give you your 220 watts of power. And the bigger question to hand is that Peek before they start melting inside?

You can get away with a lower power receiver if you put in a good enough sub and set your crossover high enough so that you really are not drawing any power from your receiver below the 100hz where the amount of current required for the speakers is large. The second option is don't ever play it load.

Not trying to sound like a snob, but I have yet to ever get a good sound from any of my speakers I have ever owned from a Pioneer (or Yamaha, modern Denon, Merantz, Onkio) I have tried a whole load of different models and eventually decided it just didn't give a good sound.

I run an Anthem AVM60 with an Axiom ADA1000 amp and found that I get a good clean sound that I like. In my bedroom, I have an old Nakamichi AV1 that is an old analogue amp and it again sounds great. it can breathe. It has life inside of it. I find that most of the mass market receivers all sound compressed.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5