Everyone who heard my M80v2 against M5v4, M3v4, M2v4 felt the performance was more emotionally involving and impactful with the v4. The 800 was in the mix. MLP was 12 feet in a 4200 cu ft room. I didn't run the "test" with M50v4 but I can tell you even the M50v4 is better than M80v2.

What is "better"? I've written a ton about this so I'll just summarize. First, the soundstage is more believable. It starts at the front plane of the drivers and moves back. With proper placement and room, the soundstage wraps around with well-recorded material. Second, imaging on that soundstage is more precise and 3D. Third, there is pop and snap in snares, drums, etc. Fourth, the midrange is better with M2 and M5. It's good with M3 and M50 but more mellow due to the lack of the dedicated mid-range. Fifth, the highs are more airy, dispersive and fun to listen to. Sixth, they all acoustically disappear better so you hear music rather than speakers.

All of these qualities exist in all the v4 I mentioned. The active LFRs take all this up many notches. The M3 and M50 are like 480p and the M2 and M5 are like 720p. M100s are like 1080p. But the M100s don't disappear as well.

The smaller boxes and driver complements lead to more of a point source than the floor-standers. So the smaller guys disappear better. But they can't go as loud. But how loud do you need?

The M2s, M3s and M50s go as loud as anyone needs at 12 feet. The M5s are good to 14 feet. M100s can go out to 18 feet. More than that and you're looking at LFRs.

The disappearing act is very important to me and so is imaging and soundstage. I love the M2s for those reasons. M5s too but M2s with sub are more linear than M5s with sub or no sub. Some may prefer the extra warmth of the M5s over the M2. It's a real tough call between those two.

Does this help?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated