The M2 computer speakers are powered by a 70W max amp with absolutely no dynamic headroom in the power brick. I suppose as computer speakers, that's enough. I have the Audiobytes which are M0 and they are just fine for a 10x10 room.

So the M2 computer speakers may not be a great comparison to bookshelves or on-walls. The bookshelves and OW can take 600W peaks. In my 4200 cu ft set-up, I've measured 105dBC peaks at 12 feet away with an 800. The peaks may actually be higher because my meter may not be capturing the true peaks. In my living room, I've pushed them cleanly to 103dBC with my cheap Sony sub.

Yes, the M5s will go to 107dBC and the M100s to 109 cleanly in the same room and distance. I've found in my main room, anything more than 103dBC peaks is perhaps a waste?

Regarding imaging and soundstage, I have never, no matter how much I tried, been able to get the M100s to image and soundstage like M2s or M5s or even M3s and M50s. The M100 imaging is fantastic between the speakers, they have decent wrap-around with well-recorded material but they cast an acoustic shadow behind them. What i mean by that is I can't see the image "through" their large cabinets. This may sound peculiar but once you hear it, there's no going back. The actives don't have that problem. It's like they are not there at all!

And yet, while the M5 and M2 disappear better than the M100, the lushness of the M100 can't be found in either. One has to figure out what is more important to their needs. My buddy got tranced by the M100s when he first heard them 2 years ago at my place. They sounded like real music more so than M5s and M2s. He finally gave in and he's now tripping out at his house with them but every time he's over, he marvels at the disappearing act the M5s, M2s and actives create. He will never, and I mean absolutely never, get that with the M100s. But he has the lushness!

Indeed minorc has to consider his room and needs. For me, the disappearing act is more important than the lushness. I want the illusion of not listening to a pair of speakers but rather the performance.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated