Well, with every bit of good, also comes a bit of bad. So I decided to drag the old Nak out of it's storage place hiding in the unused front sitting room, and brought it upstairs to the office where the Mac and PC are. Moved the cheep sony speakers that were hooked up to a cheap 20w digital amp connected to the mac and ran the wires to the NAK. All sounded great.. for about 3 hours.

Then there was a distinct humm sound in the room. Then there was a funny smell. Needless to say the Nak doesn't produce sound out of the right speaker channel any more and if you touch the unit, all sound cuts out. Pretty sure it's dead!

So a wonderful set of speakers are getting shipped to me in 26 or so days that have no real means of getting powered. I could see if I could reserect an old Yamaha that it about 3 years newer than the Nakamichi that I think I might have thrown out to my parents house. Doubt they are using it.

But part of me says I should just look to get a new sort of amp. I need it for just two functions, or more to point, two inputs. Two sets of RCA in with a switch of some form to select each input. A balance control would be nice, and I'd prefer a treble/bass adustment. I was thinking of some form of warm sounding hybrid tube/digital amp at 60watts will be more than fine.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to look at? Links prefered. Availible for Canada is a must.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5