It would be a major pain to swap the android boxes based on how I have everything setup.
I'm thinking it's just some settings that are wrong in the receiver so I'm hoping to leave swapping the android boxes towards the end of the troubleshooting process.
I just realized I have a laptop I can hook up and try to play a DVD. I will try that this afternoon.
I got the receiver about 4 years ago. It was brand new and I only took it out of the box to measure it, then it went back in the box for about a year because I was renovating my basement. When I finally did hook it up my wife gave birth to our first born and it's barely been used since. I turned the volume down on the subs and pretty much only watched the odd hockey game so I never noticed that the surround sound wasn't working until the other day when I was watching a movie and turned the volume on the subs back up only to realize they weren't doing anything. I'm not ruling it out yet but I would say it's doubtful that it's the hdmi port on the receiver.

I tried running the same YouTube test on my other receiver and all of the speakers except for the sub played the test tones so doesn't that mean that YouTube is outputting at least 5 channels?

I just compared the settings on my android box that is working, the default audio settings are basically the same between the two boxes. It's set to pcm and not hdmi raw on the working box.

The settings menu isn't very extensive on the pioneer receiver so I've gone through literally every setting but I don't see anything that could be preventibg the surround audio.

I will check the android version this afternoon as well

Last edited by Jumbo; 09/21/20 03:17 PM.