Originally Posted by TrevorM
Sorry to hear. Your dad was a long time member and a very nice guy.

Right off the bat I can say the center channel speaker level seems very high. The new hard floor sound reflection is also going to magnify that. Your listening volume in room is going to be heavily biased to the center channel’s direction and the other channels are going to seem far too quiet.

If you have an ipad I suggest downloading an spl measuring app. For basic system setup it doesnt have to be anything fancy (like audiotools by studio six digital). You are just looking to balance the net spl between each channel using the test tones in the receiver.

In the setup menu select manual speaker setup. Enter each channelsdjstance from the center viewing position and the speaker size. Select small for all with a sub crossover point of 80hz. Select “none” for rear channels if it is a 7.1 receiver.

Using the app, set measurement weighting to ‘C’ (dBC) . Beginning with the center channel, set the output trim level in the menu so your spl reading in room is 75db. If you have to go past +5-8 db or so use a setting of 65db instead. Repeat for all channels except subwoofer.
Cont'd....

Not to share too much but it was Cancer - prognosis said 3 months - he kicked it for another year on top of that with lots of tunes!

This is great, I'm beyond impressed with the breadth of knowledge here!
The auto calibration was pretty whack sounding (I figured it would be pretty off from what I was looking for but not as bad as it was - set it back to the settings given above which is saying something). After work today I will be pulling out his calibration mic and the iPad, this made me feel pretty confident that I can nail it! Thank you!

The receiver is 7.1 how does this affect the rear sub as its the only thing in that back channel with it being set to none - and moving it is not really an option my mom would lose it with another front speaker haha.

Re: Cork Thank you as well - good point I've been looking to possibly upgrade the M80s as that's something my dad had mentioned as well.

I'm so thankful for all the tips for the manual calibration Im very excited to get it all figured out.
Glad to know I was on the right track with the flooring, I definitely seems the AVR must have reset when I unplugged it (ugh) because you're correct the centre channel was a LOT. Theres no way my dad had it set that high especially with how loud we were always cranking the system.

I will post an update once I've got it sorted. (Love the song choices - & thanks again!)

Megs

You can blame my dad for the audio obsession.