As a PC enthusiast, building rigs for about 20 years, i've also subscribed to MaxPC for the same length of time (formerly known as Boot magazine). They've done a number of reviews of some NAS over the years and Qnap keeps coming up on top. Synology has also had some models and i've seen a few Western Digital efforts if i recall.

I did a bunch of research into going this route at one point and was going to buy a Qnap model, but then I reconsidered it's use. We hadn't continued buying DVDs for a couple of years with the advent of bluray, so money went elsewhere. Netflix came on strong and i saw the future of digital streaming. I didn't see the point in continuing to buy much more physical media so there were relatively few DVDs to rip (probably less than 40) and store onto a NAS. Music is all we had for media streaming after having the complete CD collection ripped (and just finally the last disc got done last year), so, i run that off my office PC via Sonos (for now).
Not much else required. Even the PC digital collection may become pointless if the online Tidal and Spotify continue to expand on quality with the only difference in having to pay a monthly fee but the tradeoff is having access to more music than what we have in rips on the PC.

On another note, been seeing more up and coming users of Jellyfish over Plex. Plex is tied to an online account whereas Jellyfish can be run off your own home system which is preferred by some people who don't want that big brother influence/monitoring. Still need a fixed or stable IP of course.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."