Thanks again Chess. Sounds like you and I are doing things similarly..... My PC is my NAS. I don't use it all the time so it's in hibernation mode quite often. That makes access to my files pretty clunky if I need to get to them when I use the laptop or tablet. Kinda defeats the whole "convenient" aspect of having a home network with shared files..... I use my laptop to tune my car, and the tuning files are on the network. It's irritating to be sitting in the car, ready to flash the ECM and the network (PC) is asleep. Same with music files. I'm having a party and want to play a CD for the group, and I have to go wake up the PC.

I hate having my stuff on the "cloud". Just hate losing control of my stuff. Yes, it's convenient if I'm not at my home, but if I have a NAS set up correctly, it will then become my personal cloud. Problem solved.

I think I'll go forward and order one of the QNAP machines. Trying to keep total cost under a grand.

Many years ago I had one the HP Media servers. I sure loved that thing. It went up in smoke though, and I have missed how convenient it was ever since.