Hi,

I currently have two M2ti used as front speakers (on bookshelves) in a 6.1 system (including an Outlaw 1050 receiver and a Hsu sub). I really like the clarity and wide soundstage of the Axiom speakers. After tweaking by adding an elliptical neoprene ring around the tweeter, there was even more clarity and the sound stage became deeper (because reflection off the side walls were reduced.). Now, here is the dilema.

Configuring all speakers SMALL and setting my Hsu VTF-3 sub to ON (Xover set at 60Hz), as popularly advised, gave a pretty good performance. However, there seems to be a slight frequency gap in the cross-over region and the sub could sometimes be located. Increasing the Xover to 80Hz did not work well because of irritating sub localization problem (the sub made known it was behind the sofa - the only place where there is room for a sub)

Recently, I changed the configuration as follows:

Front (M2ti) set to LARGE, all other speakers set to SMALL.
Receiver Sub setting: OFF (to direct the LFE to the front speeakers.)
Sub low level inputs were connected to the front right and left preamp-outs, and internal sub cross-over adjusted to approx 60-70Hz.

This configuration provided an audible improvement in soundstaging and speaker/sub integration. The sub localization was also improved (sub was less likely to call attention to itself). I have been happy about the new sound.

What is the problem then? Well, I am afraid that all that low low frequencies at high level may distort the sound or even damage the M2ti small drivers (particularly during the bass-heavy, explosive action movies).

So I recently placed an order for two 400uF capacitors, planning to connect each in series with a M2ti in order to reduce the power level of frequencies below 40Hz reaching the M2ti.

I am not sure how the capacitor would affect signal phase (soundstage) and the frequency response curve above 70Hz.

My question: is it advisable or neccessary to add the capacitors?
Any other comments on my planned set-up?
Thanks.