You folks are truly fanatical perfectionists, I come to believe.
And to a lesser degree, so am I.

Still you realize there are times you do not have it your way. Then if you remain undisturbed, you may have partly discovered the secret meaning of true happiness.

Moving the sub up front is one of those times. John’s and chesseroo’s ideas contained great truth though, and I will try to implement them in a future project which would involve dismantling the built-in cabinets and building new ones. I did not, however, have any problem pulling the M2 almost half way out of the bookshelves. Depth and imaging was great.

My rambling probably gave you the impression that things were much worse than they actually were. In fact, by moving the sub less than two inches this afternoon, I accidentally hit a perfect spot where not only was the bass tight, its quality and quantity at all three seating positions on the sofa suddenly became uniform. Sub localization was noticeable only during rare music passages.

I profess to have compromised unforgivably by using both the receiver’s and the sub’s crossovers for the sake of minimizing sub localization. Since my system in-room frequency response had a bump in the 95-150Hz region, a steeper sub frequency rolloff above 90 Hz would hopefully have a lesser detrimental effect on the smoothness of the overall frequency response than if it were flat to begin with. I have absolutely no idea about the possible effects on distortion and phase shift.
Best regards.
imind