My 400 uF capacitors arrived last Friday, but I am not going to need them ... thanks to Ian's, John's, and Alan's advices and precise analyses.

If you can spare me a few minutes of your time, I will describe what happened so that Axiom owners in similar situations may possibly benefit from the experiences.

I reset all speakers to SMALL and the sub to ON. Reconnected the sub to the receiver's sub-output. Sub internal crossover by-passed.

I found that a receiver crossover frequency of 80Hz gave a fuller (better) sound than a 60 Hz Xover, apparently because the VTF-3 sub was allowed to handle a more extended frequency range where it was the better performer, as John predicted.

I was happy with the sound, but the occasional localization of the sub behind my sofa led me to tweak further.

I could not relocate my sub as my front wall is lined with buit-in cabinets below and bookshelves above. There is sinply no room up front or on the sides for something as substantial as the Hsu VTF-3, unless I undertook a major room overhaul (which I might still do in the future).

The sub sitting right (or left) behind my back is the situation I have to live with for now.

Worse, as Alan suspected, I tend to set my sub a few db's higher than it should be -- to satisfy my bass-loving taste and to compensate for the low volume level listening environment that I am sometimes subject to.

I flipped the sub crossover by-pass switch IN and OUT several dozen times, leaving the sub internal crossover set at 85-90Hz.

I found that engaging the sub internal crossover (set at 85-90Hz) did not degrade the overall sound noticeably while reduced -- but did not eliminated -- the sub localization problem (as expected). I wish I could implement John's decisive solution to relocate the sub up front at all cost.

I was surprised that the cascading of crossovers (24db/octave for the Outlaw and 24 db/octave for the Hsu) apparently did not do substantial damage to the sound. But then I am far from having audiophile ears, nor true audiophile equipment.

I don't know about other folks, but I find these discussions very enlightening for me. This is a great community of like minds where more knowleadgeable members such as Ian, John, and Alan took the time to participate and help out.

Axiom have done more than simply produce great sounding speakers!
Thank you all.

imind