JohnK no offense but keeping conservative and thinking forward is far more the better option than coming close to a limit.
Given the information you provided, you would also be recommending 16ga wire for a max. run of 50 feet with an 8ohm speaker. Personally i don't know anyone who would want to do (or has) such a thing. Keeping resistance as low as possible is still the goal and i believe that is why most recommendations come to 14ga or potentially 12, again dependant on speaker impedance and run length.
I would not want to underestimate what home users may come across in having to change their speaker arrangements. From seanandredj's previous posts, there is the use of QS4 surrounds. What lengths of cable they will require is unknown to us. Presently i need to use 40 feet of cable for my QS8 surrounds and i don't have a very large basement room. It just has alot of corners and turns. If those QS8s were Monitor Audio speaker surrounds instead at 6ohm, or i change listening rooms and need 60 foot runs, then the 16awg cable i might have bought last month would not be of much help anymore.
Look to the future a bit when buying bulk speaker cable.

What is it you use for your home setup? Different gauges at all for fronts? rears?

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/19/02 12:21 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."