In originally planning my own cable runs, i was informed by a friend of a friend who is a truly crazy electronics repair guy (one of those people who repairs/installs those $50,000 stereo setups for a living) . He was the one who quoted me some approximate cable gauges and lengths and i take his advice quite highly. I was also going to pick up some 14 or 16ga wire when i first bought my Onkyo receiver and i had mentioned to him my speaker choices.
For my mains, the higher gauges would be ok with the short distance but i had known that i would be getting surrounds, centre, rear centre (eventually) and that potentially long runs were necessary. This is why i opted for the 12awg, based on his recommendation, and ended up getting 10awg Ultralink just b/c it was the same price so what the hell eh?

As for the impedance issues, i can attest to those problems based on my old system. In my less-informed days, i had picked up some cheap Radio Shack 22awg speaker wire (100 feet) and used it for 25 foot runs to surround speakers (Radio Shack Minimus 7s) and 6 foot runs to 2 front 6 ohm speakers.
Needless to say my stereo protection circuitry kept turning off the system. Sound was a bit crackly (music and volume dependant) and it all cleared up when i picked up some 18awg cable. I thought it was cable quality at the time but came to realize much more about the flow of stereo power since then.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."