Ken is correct about the matching imaging, clarity and soundstage for both speakers. He's also correct in that the bass provided from the M60s is no substitute for a good sub. But, the bass provided is superior to that provided by the M22s (I've owned both in a room 11.5x18x8). If you intend to get a sub at a later date, I think getting the M60s now, is a good idea. It will provide acceptable bass with music, and they'll be just passable with movies. However, when you add that sub, and I recommend you do as soon as it's feasible, you WILL discover what you've been missing.

I've got no opinion on the "dial in" theory. I know that the M80s are a little more difficult to position accurately than the M60s, but I don't know if that also applies to bookshelf speakers compared to floor-standers.

Both the M22s and the M60s can be placed as close as 3 inches to the wall behind them, though It's my personal opinion a little more space would be better. But, 3 inches is all the space needed for the rear ports to "breathe" properly. So, you don't need to worry about that.

It's your call.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton