Don't get me started. I have always been moved by that document (among others). Old regulars around here have heard me say before that I am a lover of the language, and have heartfelt respect, and profound admiration, for those who use it well. When I come across instances of such usage, my invariable reaction is one of (that poor overused word) awe.

For those who have never seen it, I would direct you to an old piece of fluff movie called Ruggles Of Red Gap.

Leonard Maltin gives the movie 4 stars. From a review at the Internet Movie Database:

"The movie was nominated for Best Picture and the performances are outstanding, particularly Charles Laughton as the butler/servant who sees freedoms and opportunities in America that he never would have had if he remained in England. The standout scene in the movie is when Laughton is in a local Red Gap bar and someone mentions Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. When no one in the bar can seem to remember what Lincoln said, Laughton (the Englishman) recites the speech in its entirety with enough emotion and dramatic flair to bring tears to one's eyes."

All I can say is, if you have not heard Charles Laughton (an Englishman) recite the Gettysburg Address, you have not heard the Gettysburg Address. I would've given anything to hear him read the Declaration Of Independence.

Thanks, Tom, for encouraging me to read it again.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton