Well, As long as we're recommending books.......

Like Turbo, I kinda snoozed my way through history in high school and college. That all changed years ago when I became a WWII history buff.

Because of my sleepy schooling, I never had a good sense of the issues, people, and chronology of the Revolutionary period, UNTIL I read Rise To Rebellion and The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara. (If his last name sounds familiar to you, it might be because his late father, Michael Shaara, won the Pulitzer Prize for his book The Killer Angels, a magnificent account of the Battle of Gettysburg. A book which I would fervently recommend to anyone interested in that conflict)

These books are classified as novels because included in each are conversations which, of necessity, are fictional. But each is rock solidly based in historical fact, and they gave me a much better sense of the cause and effect of the incidents of the respective eras.

The fictional aspects of the books help to breathe life into what many (like me ) find to be a dry, dull topic thereby making them interesting and very readable. I had trouble putting them down. If you have an interest in these events, I heartily recommend them.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton